From:
Vanessa de Behr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 14:49:59 +0200
    Some more oil on the II vs AI contest:
    I screened the Cab abstracts containing publications in the agricultural
science research field, from 1973 until 2000. Here are the results:
-  Instrumental Insemination: 83 papers including
         73 concerning bees and/or Apis spp., and
         10 concerning horses or humans.
-  Artificial Insemination: 9483 papers including
         83 concerning bees and/or Apis spp., and
         9400 concerning about everything else.
     I get the impression that bee researchers are equally divided between
II and AI, while the other scientists already choosed. By the way, we also
use a metal/plastic instrument ("gun") for AI in cattle, horses, pigs and
dogs. I do not know for the others, including human, but I guess... The
gloved hand, used with cattle and horses, is usually only for "targetting"
purpose. Well, they ain't no beetle...
     Back in the lurkers lounge,
Vanessa
Sunday's beehaver, weekly cattle vet
rainy Belgium (until now, a meagre 40kg/90p from 3 Dadants)

>What term is used for the artificial/instrumental insemination of, for
example, dairy cows?  The same usage should be followed with honey bees
as is used in the rest of the agricultural world.
>> Lets all see  future books on beekeeping use the correct terms.  For the
archives:
Lloyd R. Watson in 1927 demonstrated that queen  honey  bees  could be
inseminated and gave us the term "instrumental insemination". After 74 years
we should expect bee books to use the correct terms.