From:
Scot McPherson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 May 2007 22:34:50 -0500
>I thought you were using top bar hives, Scot?  Do you use conventional
>supers on them? If top bar frames, then can they withstand shaking?

	You are right I am a top bar hive beekeeper, and I almost made
reference to that in response to Bob's chuckles. However I didn't want Bob
to blow coffee out his nose when he read it.

	I do not use supers. Yes top bars (a.k.a. frames) can withstand
shaking, however it requires care which means do it right the first time. I
however only do it when I am harvesting that frame. There is no reason to
shake bees off of a comb unless you are removing it. You only get one chance
because although the comb might not break when shaking it (and you bet it
can break), you will significantly weaken the midrib and you do not want to
return it to the hive so it can break later while inside the hive.

Scot McPherson
McPherson Family Farms
Davenport, IA