Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2006 13:28:53 GMT
Randy,

>>Ellis and Alianos experiments put the nail into the coffin of the
acidic haemolymph hypothesis.  I'll send you a copy of my article.
No one knows the action.

You've done a nice job on the article!

I am open to all hypotheses and I am sure one day soon we'll learn
the precise mode of operation.  Re. possible ingestion, I'd think
bees have to clean the syrup solution off themselves. It's hard for
me to imagine that mere rubbing against other bees would satisfy the
bees.  They would use their probosis to ingest [temporarily?] the
syrup.

I am not sure if OA sugar syrup is so unpleasant to them that they
would not do it at all but I have seen whitish looking syrup
deposited in certain areas of the comb immediately after treatment
and not eaten/removed up from those cells for weeks afterwards [were
they waiting for the OA concentration to naturally drop before using
this syrup?]...  Was it the OA syrup?  I did not want to taste it and
did not have other means to analyze it.

Re. blood pH, I wonder if it would be easy enough to measure the pH
before and after OA treatment...

Some folks have very interesting research to carry out indeed. :)

Waldemar
Long Island, NY