From:
Tim Sterrett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 09:22:16 -0500
Mark wrote:
> I am an amateur beekeeper near Albany, NY.  Last year, my single hive was
> empty when I went to wrap it for the winter.  There were no signs of bees,
> hence I don't think there was any disease.
>
> My question:  Is there anything more I can or should do to clean them in
> preparation for my new bees other than scraping the leftover comb off.
    I wouldn't clean or scrape the frames. Bees are pretty good at cleaning
up old comb, and swarms often move into places where bees have lived before.
    A challenge of using Pierco frames (as you are) is getting the bees to
start building comb on them; not scraping them gives your bees a head start.
Tim
--
Tim Sterrett
(southeastern) Pennsylvania, USA