From:
Layne Westover <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Apr 2002 08:57:06 -0600
>>> [log in to unmask] 04/02/02 07:01AM >>> asks:
Does anyone know a fairly quick way of getting the bees out (I do
know about the cone method but it takes too long) which doesn't involve
felling the tree, and preferably saves the genetic material?

Robert,

If I were going to try this, here is how I would go about it:  I would get some nasty smelling chemical bee repellant used to clear supers (something like BEEGO or whatever is most effective in chasing the bees out).  I would then  (assuming it is a hollow tree) try and estimate where the bottom of the colony was located and drill a hole into the cavity so as to be below the colony.  Into this hole, I would stuff some wicking fabric (maybe cotton) impregnated with a large amount of the chemical.  I might even try to enhance the effect with a blow dryer into the hole too, so exhaust fumes would rise and drive the bees out of the top entrance (regular entrance) of the colony.  As they spilled out of the hollow and clustered on the outside of the tree, I would take my bee vac (a specially built vacuum contraption used to pick up bees--you can see plans to build one at Barry Birkey's BeeSource web site) and vacuum them up as they came out.  You may or may not get the queen to come out too.  Often they will not leave the brood nest no matter what you do.  If you put enough chemical in to drive them all out, it is possible you could pick up the queen too.

I have never tried this method, but it is how I would go about it if I needed to accomplish what you are trying to do.  Good luck.  Tell me how it turns out.

Layne Westover, College Station, Texas