From:
WILLIAM G LORD <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jan 1997 08:08:07 -0500
I have posted this several times before but will throw it in again as many new
people have signed on the list.  I use a non-toxic wood preservative developed
by the U.S. Forest Service Wood Products lab that is essentially the same thing
as "Thompson's" or other brand name waterproofing formulas but much cheaper.  I
find that I can buy 5 gallons of house brand waterseal products from
discounters like Wal Mart and enhance the mix by adding 6 - 8 ounces of melted
paraffin.  I read earlier where someone advocated the use of linseed oil.  It
is great stuff but will cause terrible mildew problems in warm humid climates,
so beware all you southerners.

Non-toxic wood preservative:

3 cups polyurethane (or extrerior varnish or boiled linseed oil in dry
climates)
1 ounce paraffin wax
mineral spirits or paint thinner or turpentine to make a gallon

directions:  Melt wax and add to mineral spirits, add urethane and agitate.

I apply this mixture with a 1 gallon garden sprayer with a flat fan nozzle or
use an empty plastic syrup bottle to pour it on to super tops and bottom edges.
 I let it dry for a couple of days and paint.  The paraffin is the active
ingredient, and it is not as good as a hot dip but if the wood is dry it soaks
up the mixture and will really shed water.  You can also use it to thin oil
based paint and it will shed water.  If you add too much wax it will
precipitate out at the bottom and is no big deal.  I would add as much wax as
will go into solution.
 --
william g lord
E-Mail  : wglord@franklin