From:
Chris Slade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2007 15:17:33 EST

[log in to unmask] writes:

"I have seen plenty of EF through the years mainly because I only  treated
when necessary. Before Parasitic mite syndrome (PMS) E.F. was easy  to see
for most beekeepers  because E.F. only effects the very young  larva and AFB
the late stage larva pupa.

However now PMS effects the  larva so looks like E.F.. ......."

We don't have anything labelled PMS in the UK although we have had varroa
since 1992.  If it is so similar to EFB could it possibly be EFB?   As you know,
when infected larvae are sufficiently well fed, ie there are  plenty of nurse
bees, they survive to pupate and emerge and then soon start  feeding their
younger siblings, which is how they too become infected.   Could it be that
severe varroa infestation reduces the quality and quantity of  nurse bees thus
allowing otherwise hidden EFB to become apparent?

Chris