From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Aug 2004 21:58:14 -0500
Peter said:
But this still leaves you on the treadmill of constantly trying to kill
varroa.

Unless you have got bees which can maintain a varroa load you ARE always
trying to kill varroa!

In a breeding program in order to find varroa tolerant hives the best way is
to apply varroa pressure. Sadly only a couple of private beekeepers doing
research do so.

In fact  the Russian bees were treated upon entrance into the U.S. and early
on in research I have been told in talks on Russian bees I have attended.

Apistan strips and crisco patties were found in a certain bee labs survivor
project by beekeepers which found the location of the projects hives and
went looking. Shame on you beekeepers but thanks for the info!

We have bought  queens from the bee mags which advertise bees which can
handle varroa and done varroa pressure testing.

Sould we publish the results in a bee mag? Would not gain friends in queen
rearing circles so will keep quiet.

Peter said:
 When I was in southern India last January, they told me that Apis cerana
had been devastated 10 years ago by Thai sac brood virus.  However,
populations have now recovered and TSB is no
longer a serious problem.  I wonder if we could achieve the same with APV
and DWV; varroa would then not be the problem that it is today for so many.

What did the beekeepers in India do to control the alleged outbreak of TBS
besides let the virus run its course. Only ten years to get control. perhaps
a change in vocation would be in order.

sent to me on the subject:
The beekeeper grapevine tells me varroa kicked butt for ten years in India
until they finally got a handle on varroa and the viruses went away. Many
beekeepers went to India to show beekeepers ways to control varroa I am
being told.

Bob