From:
Tim Arheit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Nov 2007 20:14:09 -0400
At 03:40 PM 11/2/2007, you wrote:
>A. Forage Area ID (i.e. name or location),
>B. Owner / Custodian of the Land Used for Forage
>C. Total Number of Acres for this area
>D. Please provide the estimated date(s) of forage TO (begin) (end)
>E. Please Attach an Area Map.
>F. Please provide the following information for the forage plants
>grown in this area:

Not a problem. Please see the attached map of the Allen county; database of 50,000 parcels with owners, contact information, acreage and land use;  average daytime temperatures for our area to determine estimated forage dates and the publication 'Bee plants in Ohio' from OSU.  I've got all the info right here on my computer ready to go, or can within an hour (seriously).  Just hope they'll accept it in digital form.  I can't afford all the paper and toner it will take to print it out.

But seriously.  This is a problem with all the organic standards for honey I've seen.  It's written either from an outsider's perspective, or a purist.  In either case neither have a clue what it take to keep good healthy hives, breed queens and in some cases even the basics of beekeeping.  The general public is interested in what 'organic' means to the end product.  Not clipping wings has no impact on the honey or even the health and well being of the bees, and spreading swarms because it's 'natural' will only result in unkept 'wild' hives spreading disease or taking up residence in your neighbors house and is not good for anyone, including the bees.

-Tim