From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Apr 2007 23:25:18 -0600
> Dunno. More and more we are seeing it in all USA states and
> several foreign countries so I cannot really say if your
> list is right or just ????

Or complete, for that matter.  I left off a few items.

Seeing as you question my list and, I therefore assume, are more in touch
with the facts, please tell us (rough estimate) how many

1.) migratory pollinators

2.) commercially successful beekeepers with over 500 hives

3.) non-Africanized beekeepers

fall into that category?  And for how many successful years so far?  Can you
name names?  Lots of names, and names of beekeepers who do the heavy lifting
in honey production and pollination?

In light of the size of the industry, are the numbers you can provide a
significant portion at present?  If so, what percent of the beekeepers and
of the commercial hives in the US, to your thinking, fit this category?  How
many went to the almonds?

Just to make sure we are using the same measurements: by commercial, I mean
hives run profitably and used to provide the primary (sole?) means of
support to the beekeepers, their families and employees, and their banks.  I
don't mean hives operated by those who have significant outside and
alternate means of support or who are just starting up and have no track
record.

Don't get me wrong, but from what I see, there are many more posers out
there than actual successes when it comes to operating without at least some
chemical assistance.  Hopefully, the day when most beekeepers can exchange
brood and super comb is coming back, but, for the vast majority, it is not
here yet (or shouldn't be).

Maybe you can prove me wrong with some solid numbers, but so far, I have
just heard brave assurances and few if any names -- or real numbers.