From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 13:25:13 -0500
re:
I have a question that I dont want to find the answer to by the school of hard knocks!

reply:
Such questions as how close together to put apiaries and how many hives there should be in an apiary are impossible to answer. Experience is the *only* teacher here. Ideally, beekeepers would meet frequently and make agreements about such things and in some areas there are actual regulations in force regarding encroaching. Commonly, beekeepers do not discuss apiary locations and such, fearing competition over cooperation.

In California it was common to see yards of 120 hives. My friends used to say if a location couldn't support 120 it wasn't a good location. In this area of NY 12 to 20 hives seems to be common. I would not knowingly move closer than one mile from another beekeeper. Three miles is probably more fair. If someone moves in on you, try to reason with them. Too many bees hurts everyone concerned.

Peter Borst
Ithaca NY
U S A