From:
Tim Vaughan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Sep 2002 09:48:17 -0400
Here in California if we don't get some rain soon, I may not be able to
brag about not feeding my bees anymore. Out of 100 hives, I only got about
2 ounces of sage this year. Today, I visited my best sage location, which I
share with another beekeeper with 30 hives, and the owner of the property
told me that all 30 hives of the other guy had died out. Not one was living.

Around this area of the Central Coast of California we got hit with
drought, mites, Foul brood, pesticides, and now only 3 or 4 inches of rain
in 9 months.

I've come through fairly well, with about 10% loss to pesticides, a few to
Foul brood, 5% to ants (they are unusually hungry too, this year) and a few
others to normal attrition, but I've had to give up one of my Farmer's
Markets for lack of volume.

Anyway, I'm glad for you guys on the East Coast. Just please send over a
little rain.