From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Dec 2007 17:39:13 -0800
Question: Are you also finding both kinds of Nosema in every CCD case?

I've been curious about the same thing.  The trend appears to be that
ceranae completely displaces apis, and that in some areas, apis is
apparently no longer present.

I have not seen classic CCD, but I have looked at hundreds of nosema samples
from my own operation, and colonies of others.  I noticed that there is
substantial variability in nosema spore morphology.  Basically, they appear
to come in two "flavors."  I asked the Spanish lab about this, and they say
that they can differentiate by eye--confirmed by PCR analysis.  They sent me
descriptions and photos, which exactly match the "flavors" that I've been
observing.  I will be sending samples off soon for PCR confirmation.  Until
then, I don't want to mislead anyone, so will not yet mention the
differences I see until I can confirm.  If I'm correct, than any fool with a
scope can differentiate!

However, if I am indeed seeing the species differences, then most of my
colonies have N ceranae.  A few have apis.  I'm not sure about mixes, but
will now start looking.  I'm redoing my website, and will be posting nosema
articles and photos--hopefully by the end of the week.  The differences in
spore morphology are obvious in my photos, but not identified.

Randy Oliver
California