From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Sep 1998 12:25:39 -0400
>smoke this hive heavily then block the opening thus killing all inside.
>The brood combs will be distributed to two nearby hives which will winter
over
>in 3 deeps.
>This hive is a buckfast supercedure and I am just about done with buckfast
>bees even though they did fairly well here.
>Midnites have done better and wintered better and superceded without nearly
>the mean streak.

I sympathise with Tom having just done this myself. For the first time in 50
years I had to kill a hive this year. Buckfast in origin, allowed to
superscede to maintain the genetics, turned into the worst hive I've ever
handled, and I have three more not quite so bad.
    Can only describe them as the worst of the African traits. Even smoke
didn't put them down, in fact they came at you more, with, than without
smoke.
     Some one I was talking to thought Br Adam did the wrong thing in adding
African bees to the mix. Seems they will hand off DNA to the female on
mating, unlike European bees which can't do that trick. So carry that
thought further, subsequent supercedure adding more and more regressive
traits? Sounds like a major problem to me.
        Anyone else suffering?
The Bee Works, 9 Progress Drive, Unit 2, Orillia,
ON. L3V 6H1. Canada.
Phone (705) 326 7171
Fax      (705) 325 3461
David Eyre. Owner.