From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Sep 2004 22:29:44 -0500
Hello All,
In the U.S. many of us tried to use the approved menthol packets for TM
control. Did not work in cold weather  and cost beekeepers  a bunch of money
plus dead hives from TM. Sorry for your losses said the USDA.!

The USDA-ARS  came up with the shop towel method for colder areas of the
U.S..  Many on Bee-L when I first talked about the method said illegal. I
said not so which is correct.

Now almost twenty twenty years later I say test and see if you even need to
treat for TM as many lines  do not need treatment and if they do not  spring
and fall.( and certainly not Sept., Dec., Jan. & Feb. as the method Ruary
found and posted  suggests).

The method which the USDA_ARS came up with was presented to many beekeepers
in an article in the American Bee Journal. My modified version is in the
archives (using less menthol).

I will comment on a few points in the below flawed (my opinion) method.

>Place two standard packs of menthol crystals (3.4 oz. or 100 >grams) in an
8-oz. (118.3 cc) measuring cup, and then add canola >oil to fill. Microwave
for 4 minutes at 50% power. Check to see that all crystals dissolved-if not,
microwave for an additional minute at 50% power. Must be used while warm
otherwise crystals will reform.

The above is a Mickey Mouse way to get the result . I would never make the
formula in the house due to smell and risk of spilling a chemical which
stinks for months and doubt many beekeepers wives would lend the kitchen or
microwave.

The "must be used while warm otherwise the crystals will reform" says to me
the crystals ARE NOT FULLY DISOLVED.

Using your Barbeque grill or a hot plate outside and a  coffee can is better
and  safer.

>Towels can be stored at room
>temperature indefinitely if the bag is zipped closed.

The above makes me wonder if the writer has ever really made the mentholated
towels?  Even in a zip loc bag the menthol starts to disapate into the air.
Soaks through even two zip loc bags, Stinks up the area the mentholated
towels are for a very long time. I keep my menthol in the freezer which is
the only place I have found  to keep a pound of menthol to still be a pound
the next season.

"stored indefinitely at room temp" is simply BS! Is not so!

>Place one paper towel over the top bars of each brood chamber.

SHOULD SAY ACROSS END BARS AND NOT OVER BROOD NEST!

 >Best time to treat is September.

SHOULD GIVE TEMP RANGES INSTEAD OF SEPT as all beekeeping is local.

>(Tracheal mites are usually not a problem from May to September, so no
menthol needs to be used until the time that mites begin to build up in late
August or September).

Tracheal mites can be a problem any time when infestation are high.
I believe the writer of the above is getting TM and varroa mixed up.
TM is usually seen as a dwindling of the hive over a certain period of time.
TM reproduces in the tracheal of  bees over a given period of time
regardless  of time of year unlike varroa..
Varroa peaks in fall after a season of reproducing in BROOD.
Treatment is done many times for TM before  the cold winter in the north as
losses from TM in winter are common but TM can kill a hive any time of the
year in areas without a winter cold period.

>Colonies can be treated anytime during the winter when
temperatures rise above about 45 F (8 C).

Correct but a higher temperature with menthol produces better results.
Should say the temperature needs to be above 45F. for the entire treatment
period.

>We recommend this treatment whenever tracheal mites are found; additional
treatments can be made in December, January and February.

Tells me the above treatment is not very effective as a single treatment
period (two applications) should clear TM. I believe the writer is only
guessing as to control & need to treat ( as many beekeepers do) and is
wasting time and money ( not unusual with many beekeepers).

>This mix  caused no harm to our bees but definitely reduced or eliminated
the tracheal mites.

Should be:
After the Sept. treatment period we tested bees under a microscope and found
we had eliminated the TM. problem.

Please do not tell me a noted beekeeper or researcher provided the method
and information! The method is based in fact but like giving you a recipe
and leaving out important steps.

Bob