From:
Robt Mann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 16:57:57 +1200
Harry Goudie wrote:
>There was quite a high
>profile case about the honesty of scientists in Britain some years ago.  I
>can't remember the poor man's name but he was crucified for saying what he
>thought about GM potatoes.  Perhaps he was just a brave scientist - perhaps
>naive - who knows.

        He did not mean to be particularly brave but merely to perform one
of the very first tests of a GM food in the diet of a mammal
<http://www.rri.sari.ac.uk/gmo/index.html>.
        I happen to know this man, Arpad Pusztai Ph.D, and his co-author
Stanley Ewen M.B.
        AP told his story in The Ecologist 3 y ago; see also
http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/a.pusztai/

        There was no issue of honesty, except that the various industry &
Royal Society operatives who vilified this work were wildly unfair.  The
particular strain of GM-potato tested did  -  within 10d  -  harm rats
eating it as a large proportion of their diet.  The results were  -  after
lengthy obstructions  -  pubd in The Lancet.
        Pusztai was already rtd from the Rowett Inst, but continuing to
work there on a short-term contract.  The director, one James, purged him
from this employment & confiscated his records.  The Inst was partly funded
by Monsanto, who had said they wanted methods to be developed for testing
GE foods.