From:
P-O Gustafsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Oct 2007 14:38:45 +0200
 > From: Robert Brenchley <[log in to unmask]>

> But as I said  in an earlier
> post, I can normally handle them without worrying about  stings. When I find
> Italian hybrids over here

Hello Robert,

Thought we would hear from you..:-)
I hope you don't refer to Buckfast as "Italian hybrids", as that would
really prove my point of limited knowledge among some UK beeks of what
Buckfast is. I get a bit frustrated with this kind of statements.

And yes, I have had a.m.m. myself. Also Ligustica, Carnica and every
mix between them in my commercial operation. To me, Buckfast is the
best from different races mixed together in a bee that gives me the
best possibility to make a living from them. And no, mixes between
races don't produce hot bees if both lines are gentle to start with.
Believe me, I have done it.

Buckfast is here among most considered the gentlest of all races...and
the race that best can handle mixing with other races without getting
hot.

We had a US friend visiting in August when we were taking last honey
off and preparing for winter. He had one of those cameras that can
record video, and I have uploaded some clips to Youtube that you can
watch yourself and see how we work our bees. We rarely use veils,
sometimes on a rainy day if we have to dig into the brood nest.

Looking for a queen to change:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1CkEL1Cork

Feeders on:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3Bx-fn4Xxs

When it comes to gentleness my criteria is bees that never fly up in
your face. A sting on the hand if you move too fast is tolerated.
This is Buckfast bees, not any mongrel you might have experienced in
the UK....:-)

--
Regards

P-O Gustafsson, Sweden