Date:
Tue, 22 Jan 2008 17:08:05 GMT
>>I dont doubt you Waldemar. Your comments do raise some concerns for me in my own home apiairy. I do at times see bees flying in fairly cold weather, and have felt concern within myself that something may be wrong-especially food shortage...

There is another possibility for cold temp flying on sunny days.  The hive warms up enough for the cluster to loosen up.  Stimulated, the bees try to remove dead bees from the bottom board.  Or, older bees, sensing the end of their life cycle, may depart from the hive so as not to be a burden...  All the while, the colony may be just fine.

>>something I am monitoring closely  this year as the bees
"appear" to have an unusually large amount of brood for this time of year.  I would appreciate any observations/comments along thesee lines....even if it is a "Beek 101" response.

The good books tell us that the Italian bees will brood rearing in late January.  From experience we know some hives will never cease broodrearing.

What does this mean?  The late winter brood rearing is typically limited and not a huge burden on the colonies' reserves at first.  The anticipation is that March/April will bring fresh pollen and nectar to continue fueling the colonies.  In these months the weather can down the bees for extended and it's best to monitor.

I make it a habit to heft the hives whenever I am in the apiary.  So far this winter, I have not seen a perceptible drop in weight.

If you get some nice weather, it might be enlightening to open up a couple of hives for a brief inspection should you have doubts or are just coming up the beekeeping learning curve.  Be very careful though - losing a queen this time of year is very bad news.

Waldemar