From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Nov 2007 09:48:39 -0500
Aaron's post began with a quote from my post and proceeded to slash and
burn from there. I sent him an email and he assured me that I was not
the object of his post, even though it was difficult for me to see that,
since I was the only one referred to by name.

I do agree with him that unless you know the background of a poster, you
do have to maintain a bit of skepticism as to the authenticity of their
observations. After you know more about them you can color your judgment.

So. like St. Paul, here are my particulars and from that you can judge
the content of my post.

I do not measure up to one of Aaron's criteria, which is attendance at
National meetings, unless you give me credit for running the
registration for two EAS meetings (ten years apart) in Maine, and I do
attend our State Annual Meeting.

I have published several times in Gleanings (ABJ stole one of my
articles in our State newsletter, so there also); was the State point of
contact for all thing bees for about 10 years; taught bees schools;
editor of the State newsletter for seven years; State Beekeeper of the
Year; beekeeping for over 15 years, and posted here on the BeeL for
longer than most all here. I have worked with the State Apiarist in the
field, mainly as an observer, inspecting commercial, migratory, and
hobby beekeepers.I am a "disciple" of George Imire and Tony Jadczak both
of whom taught me the art of successful beekeeping.

I am a hobby beekeeper but with a scientific bent mainly because of my
Masters of Science in Chemistry. I cannot and never will suggest I know
more about the nuts and bolts of beekeeping compared to someone like Bob
Harrison, who lives it. For me, on this list, it is a scientific
interest, while in my backyard, it is for pollination. I do not need
many hives and wife does not like honey.

Because of the scientific part, I keep in touch with several people and
talk over things like CCD and other problems in the industry.

I take the "Informed Discussion" of our list seriously.

Which brings me to a problem, and one which has bothered me with every
post I have made on the subject of CCD. I know too much and by speaking
I do come close to violating confidences. It is difficult, when you
comment on something, to differentiate between your own views and what
has been told to you, especially when you agree. So I am going to shut
up on this subject except for generalities and questions. I will keep
other's observations out of the discussion since I agree that, from a
scientific point of view, unless I can directly attribute my sources, it
is unscientific.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine