From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 07:15:10 -0700
> I know that cellular does not cover the whole land mass of
> US/Canada.  For the commercial/migratory beekeepers:
> Are you covered by terrestrial cellular where you have yards?

Yes, we have good blanket coverage for the most part, and we are in some pretty
remote areas.

There are a few yards that area bit marginal due to being in gullies, however, I
think a high gain yagi or dish, or even a small tower or pole would get coverage
in our marginal areas and might be permitted for a fixed base dedicated to
telemetry.

In addition to cellular and paging, there are commercial radio communication
suppliers that rent time on their private VHF and UHF repeaters pretty well
everywhere in Western Canada.  Any large farmer with several people involved or
oil company service person around here has VHF walkie talkies and mobile units
in addition to cell phones.

Moreover amateur VHF and UHF voice and packet repeaters blanket Alberta.
Whether or not they could be used would be a judgement call.  In the
experimental stages, I think it might be justified and permitted.  Add to that
the amateur and commercial satellites, and we are virtually inundated with
radio.

allen
VE6CFK