From:
Larry Krengel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 07:22:46 -0500
Just an interesting note.  After beekeeping for more than ten years and
hearing stories about the new queen bugling I heard it for the first time.

I keep a specimen hive just off my front porch so when I sit and rock, I can
watch the bees.  Of all the hives to decide to swarm this year, it was this
one.  Last Sunday there was a sudden furor of activity as a swarm came from
the hive and perched forty feet high in a large oak tree.  I chose to let it
go.  Saddened by the event, I went into the hive to find a half dozen capped
queen cells.

Being so close to the house, I have gone in regularly for the last couple of
days to see how things are developing.  Yesterday when I took off the top of
the hive, I heard the usual hum, but also a bugling sound.  I followed the
sound as I removed frames until the frame I had in my hand was obviously the
source.  With a little study, there she was... my new queen singing to her
subjects.

I watched for a while.  She didn't seem to act very regal.  I suspect that she
was not yet mated, but she was a great musician.  She continued to bugle as I
watched.  I suspected that the beating of her wings made the sound, yet I
could not identify any large motion.  Nothing like the bees that do the von
Frisch dance on the frames.  Perhaps today she goes out to find the drones.

I continue to enjoy my bees and they never cease to show me something new.

Larry Krengel
Marengo, IL  USA