From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Sep 1998 13:56:32 -0400
Dave wrote..."I sympathize with Tom having just done this myself. For the
first time in 50
years I had to kill a hive this year. Buckfast in origin, allowed to
supersede to maintain the genetics, turned into the worst hive I've ever
handled, and I have three more not quite so bad."

Dave, were these from Canadian breeders or from Texas (before the embargo)?

I have heard from a lot of hobbyists that their Buckfasts from Texas can be
extremely mean...not always, but sometimes.  Moreover, out of several queens
introduced, usually only 1 or 2 are mean.  I've been mentally blaming this
on Africanized drones, although both Weavers maintain their drone saturation
precludes this.  The Texas Dept. of Ag. has been examining workers from
Weaver open mated queens and maintains that they have not found any
Africanized evidence...but I still wonder.

I personally used Buckfast queens for several years (in the 60's) and found
them very gentle and extremely prolific.  With good New World Carnolians
being extremely resistant to tracheal mites, I do not see why any beekeeper
in the Northern states (or Canada) would want to use Buckfast produced in
Texas and take any risk concerning the Africanized traits.  Any thoughts
from others?

Lloyd