From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Mar 2011 00:35:09 -0000
Phil Moore

>increased swarming tendency, running on the comb and increased aggression
>within 3 or
4 years. It is a mute [assume you mean moot] point whether these changes are
due to Amm genes or
the imported stock.

Certainly not traits that I recognise in any reasonably pure A.m.m. that I
have seen - but certainly applies to crosses with exotic stock.

> Amm enthusiats have yet to produce for sale...

That is because a core philosophy of BIBBA has been to encourage members to
find good stock locally and then improve it - not to 'import' from other
parts of the country.  My own view is that this is fine for those who are
lucky enough to live in areas with good stock, but for those of us (like me)
living in an area where the predominant bees are bad-tempered mongrels
created by years of imports (not least by the NBU it has to be said when
they were located here up to 1994) then bringing in good stock is the only
answer.  We are now beginning to see breeding groups emerging - BIBBA
currently has around 30 - and it is likely that more stock will become
available once they have satisfied local needs; there is a great deal
happening.

> I sometimes wonder if Amm enthusiats are more concerned with conservation
> than beekeeping,

Since when was conservation a bad thing?

Best wishes

Peter
(Thinking: without conservation the hybridists would have nothing to
destroy.)