From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 2000 12:31:05 -0600
> It would be very bad form though to quote a private conversation in a
> public forum without letting you know I was quoting you first...

> I've exchanged emails with researchers privately that I thought offered
> some very good information or raised important points that i wanted to
> discuss with b-eel subscribers, but when asked, they said no...

I'm glad we're talking about this.

If endorsement or support for a position is implied from an innocent statement
excerpted from a private or public writing, then one must walk a thin line and
use exquisite judgement.

For publications, as I understand it, there are legal rules in place as to how
much one can quote without attribution or permission.  Context is important too.
However, most of us are not too worried about the legal aspects compared to the
moral questions, and usually making a good moral call leaves us on the safe side
of the law.  Not always, but usually.

The way I usually deal with the whole question is this: instead of pestering
people about permission I simply do not name names or even quote, unless I am
sure that the person in question has consented or would be pleased.  In most
cases there is no real reason to drop names or identify sources, and I either
paraphrase or allude to the statement, or use a short quote and attribute to 'a
bee researcher' or 'a friend' or such.

The sensitivity of the information being used must also be considered.  There
are things that are pending and not decided that a correspondent in a sensitive
position may have personal opinions about and express in private, but not ever
want revealed in public.  We must sometimes keep secrets.  There may be breaking
stories that are on hold until everyone concerned gets a chance to comment and
get on-side.  In such cases, some of us are privy to this information and must
use our judgement and not 'leak', or, if we feel encouraged to do so by our
source, must write discreetly without betraying the source.

As far as people or magazines using my own writing is concerned, I offer it
freely, the only stipulation to those quoting is that they must not alter my
intent by editing or cutting.  If I am quoted and my work is changed in any way
I reserve the right to examine the result before printing if I am identified
with the piece anywhere.

And, as for my writing, lately I have been putting most of my work into the
diary pages I have started  and the occasional post to
sci.agriculture.beekeeping -- which, incidentally has been really good lately.
s.a.b. covers lots of beginner stuff and chatter which is interesting but does
not really belong here.

With the diary project, those who don't appreciate my rambling aren't bothered
by it and those who enjoy it can.  I can also use lots of good close pictures
and explain things in detail.  Come visit at http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee/
and select 'A Beekeepers Diary'.

Also, if you are trying to get s.a.b. and haven't figured out how, I have a
whole page dedicated to s.a.b in my menu at http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee/
(left side).

Regards all,

allen