From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 08:06:00 -0400
Purdue Genomics Roundup

April 2001

WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. This February scientists made headlines when
they published the sequence of the human genome the so-called "code
of life."

"Agricultural genomics is well behind human genomics," he says "But
we can adapt the tools used in the Human Genome Project to find
solutions for problems in food much faster than drugs for human
problems can be brought to the market."

Genomics uses automated laboratory equipment and high-power computers
to identify all of the genes in an organism. These genetic road maps
can be used to create genetically modified organisms, such as Bt
corn. Genetic information also can provide an advantage to
traditional crop and animals breeders that was unthinkable 10 years
ago.

Here are examples of plant and animal genomics projects under way at
Purdue University:

Purdue researchers have created more than 300,000 genetically altered
plants, and scientists at other institutions have created hundreds of
thousands of additional genetically altered plants. "For all
practical purposes, the genome is saturated; there has been a
mutation for every gene," Bressan says.

Purdue entomologist Greg Hunt, in collaboration with Ernesto
Guzman-Novoa of Mexico's agricultural research service, used gene
mapping techniques more commonly used in plant genetics to locate the
genes that influence behavior in Africanized bees. "We have developed
specific gene markers that predict the probability of queen bees
having the African version of stinging genes so it will be easier for
breeders to avoid using them," Hunt says. "Now that we have the
markers we can selectively breed for gentle bees."

--

Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>