From:
Sid Pullinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jun 2000 10:57:50 -0400
A recent query. What to do with the combs of a dead colony.
> I can hardly expect the bees to clean it out - will it start decomposing
with time?.

Why not? If you are certain of the cause of death not being disease.
giveone frame each to 11 colonies.>>>>>

The question is How certain is certain???
To check for Acarine (tracheal mites) one needs a low  powered microscope
and a knowledge of dissection.
To test for EFB, AFB, Nosema, etc. one needs a high powered microscope and
the skill to use it and recognise what is revealed. Alternatively one needs
to submit bees and brood to a suitable laboratory for analysis.
Without the above, with the exception of death by obvious starvation, no
one can be certain and I suggest that giving sick combs to a number of
healthy colonies to clean up is a recipe for disaster. After all, are ten
sick combs worth the trouble and the chance of spreading disease through
the whole apiary? If you must salvage the combs give them to a swarm. That
way only one stock is involved.                         Sid P.  Southern
England