From:
Michael Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 2000 06:49:52 -0500
Has anyone ever figured out the real cost of pollination? I've moved
bees onto apples for many years. I am wondering now, is it really worth
it? Upon reversing, before pollination, I mark colonies that will need
to be split. I do the splitting in the orchard, so I don't have to drive
all over the county. Many of the colonies marked as strong are no longer
splittable after the move. Many of the bees are gone(lost?). Colonies
not moved are still "booming" with bees. They usually yield a nuc, and
at least an extra super of honey. Do the math. A nuc, and an extra super
of honey has to be more valuable to the keeper than the check from the
orchard. Any ideas?