From:
BeeFarmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Oct 2001 09:18:12 -0400
Just wanted to pipe in on some accessments that I have made since using
bottom boards under my screens.  I currently have 32 hives with most of them
screen only.  I have some with screens and bottom boards, and some with just
bottom boards no screens but mostly screen only.  I would like to speak to
those interested in using screens that might run across and my information
might help them when deciding to put screens on so they don't go through
some issues that I went through.  NOTE:  These are only my situtations and
solutions they are not scientifically tested or evaluated!

1.  When placing a screen on top of a bottom board that has been reversed
"no opening now in front"  remember that if you had your hive tilted forward
for water\moisture to escape that once you place your bottom board backwards
and screen on top the water will collect in the bottom board.

My solution:  Tilt backwards or leave a small gap for the moisture to run
out.

2.  When installing a package of bees and you have the bottom board
underneath of the screen and the back end open between the bottom board and
screen you may find bees trying to go in between the bottom board and
screen.  Even if you aren't installing bees you might find robbers or others
"yellow jactets" trying to get in this entrance...

My solution:  Close back entrance off.

3.  If using bottom board in conjuction with screen large build up of wax
and other residue will build up.  The bottom board becomes a great place for
wax moths and other insect seeking food.

My solution:  Clean regularly with a home made tool to scrape out residue.

My overall solution would be just using a screen bottom board without the
bottom board.

BeeFarmer
Getting Kids involved in 4H Beekeeping
http://www.homestead.com/BeeKeepers/Opening.html