From:
Ainars Millers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2002 22:14:46 +0200
Dear bee-lovers!
I would like to  ask information about organisation of national or local
honey trademarks (official trademarks of Beekeepers Associations). What is
the experience of beekeepers worldwide in protection of local honey
production? I know that in Germany since 1925 is a trademark "Echter
Deutscher Honig" (Real German Honey) and it is quiet succesful. Are there
similar trademarks in other contries? I understand that markets are very
different and not all tools can be used everywhere. I believe also that
there are many countries represented on the list and the members  can give
clear picture how the rest of world is handling.

From my side a small information about current situation in Latvia. We have
50.000 hives and about 3.000 beekeepers. Average net yield -15-20kg/hive
Population- 2.4 Millions. In the market we have a lot of honey packed in
Germany and Danmark (mostly origin of China, Russia and Hungary). Latvian
honey is more expensive and the retail price is USD 6-8, imported honey USD
2-4.
Since 2 years we have a trademark "Ievaakts Latvijaa"(Collected in Latvia)
In fact, it is more a label than trademark. Beekeepers can use their own
jars and labels and national label is sticked only on the cover.  The
picture of the label can bee seen on website of Latvian Beekeepers
Association
http://www.ltn.lv/~bb/LBBreg2.pl?engl/Zime&lang=en
To get the labels, the beekeepers should make an agreement, pay a small fee
to Beekeepers Association of Latvia (USD30) and pay for labels (1pc-USD
0.01) Of course, this cannot cover advertising costs and ,in fact, the
advertising is not carried out.

Many thanks in advance for information!

With best regards from Latvia
Ainars