From:
Peter Loring Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Oct 2016 08:07:15 -0400
> The value of your efforts here is not underrated at least by myself.  And imho credentials are irrelevant to this task. However once you get beyond this straight reporting of what people said or did then any analysis may require quite a bit of understanding and yes perhaps even credentials.

Are you asking for my CV? I have worked in this business for more than 40 years. My introduction to beekeeping was working in a 2000+ colony outfit, learned a lot quickly, had to. I worked for at least a dozen different commercial operations. I manufactured and sold bee supplies for 5 years in the 1970s. I went overseas with the Peace Corps to teach beekeeping in 1981. I ran my own 500 colony outfit for 5 years in the 1980s, selling honey, bee pollen, and thousands of queen cells. I worked for 7 years as the senior apiarist at Cornell's Dyce Lab, followed by a three year stint as a NY State bee inspector. I have traveled the US lecturing on topics ranging from best management practices to bee breeding. I have published over 30 articles in the ABJ. I no longer work in the bee industry because frankly, the pay sucks. I am still running 20 hives, so that I can practice what I preach. You can say that counts for naught, only large scale beekeeping is the real thing, but that would be like saying a musician is no good if he plays in a cafe, and not a stadium. We all know that isn't true. And about the use of the word "dominant," my dictionary clearly acknowledges both uses:

• Genetics; a dominant trait or gene.
• Ecology; a dominant species in a plant (or animal) community.
• Music; the fifth note of the diatonic scale of any key, or the key based on this, considered in relation to the key of the tonic.

PLB