Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Nov 2007 19:42:25 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (38 lines)
The movie focused on some important issues in Ag and beekeeping, like over working the bees 
and pesticide useage. 

I did not like the underlying tone and message of the movie though.  IMO the problem with this 
movie is the same problem with 90% of the printed media on CCD, it assumes that there was a big 
near catastrophic loss. The story is built on a false premise. 

Many of us beleive that the true percentage of hives lost nationally  to CCD was 2-5%. To back 
that statement up with real world facts, consider that the CA almonds were pollinated without a 
shortage and there was never a shortage of package or queens bees in spring 2007.  Sorry we just 
did not have a huge national loss or shortage of bees!

We are no were near collapse as the movie intoned at the end. This is just more sensationlistic 
hooey.  It implies we can do nothing as CCD is One BIg Mystery.. The fact is we can and should 
change the system of how bees are kept and moved in the USA. No big mystery here what the 
problems are.  

I would recommend that attention be given to the fact that  if CCD was a contagious disease that 
randomly affected any hive that with the mass movement of hives each year we have a wonderully 
efficient system of spreading deadly problems across the nation within a couple of months time.  

That to me is more interesting and mind boggling then CCD that was possibly nothing more then 
a flash in the pan. Who cares about CCD that hardly affected that many hives. Why not focus on 
how we will deal with the next Big One someday if we keep allowing free for all mass movement 
with no plan for quarrantine in the event we really did have a deadly pathogen. 

How stupid would the industry look if the average Joe realzed that we have NADA, Nothing, Zero, 
in place to stop the quick spread of deadly disease via migratory beekeeping. 

While all beekeeping is local I would add to that refrain - most bee related problems are 
essentially a result of bee movement by humans.

* Full guidelines for BEE-L posting are at:          *
* http://www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/guidelines.htm  *

ATOM RSS1 RSS2