From:
Dave Cushman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jun 2007 12:02:24 +0100
Hi Peter

I would like to expand on what Peter said...

> Since I have looked at hundreds of sticky boards, and counted thousands of
> mites, I must point out that the boards give a basic estimate of the number
> of mites in a hive. Low mite drop generally indicates low infestation.

The sticky board only tells you about mite drop, before you can equate
that to mite numbers you have to calibrate the drop found, by killing
the colony and washing off all remaining mites with detergent. Once you
have found that ratio of remaining mites to dropped mites for the
season, management method, race of bee and weather conditions concerned,
you can draw conclusions from other colonies that drop mites under
similar season and conditions. Without calibration, the figure of drop
is actually meaningless.

If a beekeeper finds a mite drop that he considers high, it is likely
that he will reach for a hard chemical treatment, when the cause of the
mite drop may have been bees that were more effective at getting varroa
out of their nest without chemical help.

Regards & Best 73s, Dave Cushman, G8MZY
http://website.lineone.net/~dave.cushman or http://www.dave-cushman.net
Short FallBack M/c, Build 6.02/3.1 (stable)