From:
Schlafer-Parton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Sep 2001 18:20:35 -0400
>Hello All,
    Just a question concerning chewing out varroa in the purple-eye stage. I
too have observed this phenomenon  in New World Carniolans, Buckfasts and
Italians. The pictures I have seen posted and my own observations only
involve worker brood. If indeed this is the bees attempt to control varroa,
and if varroa is more attracted to the drone brood, then why are we not
observing the bees chewing out the drone brood more that the worker brood?
Has anyone observed the same phenomenon concerning drone brood to the same
extent as worker brood?

Just Wondering,
Joel Parton
Knoxville, TN