From:
Rick Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Feb 2002 21:00:29 EST
I have sold honey to supermarkets at a premium over imported brands, and it sold well.  The problem is with the supermarket also.  The cheaper foreign brands sold better with a greater profit (presumably) and they had more shelf space than I.  I was eventually dropped not because the consumers didn't buy but because the supermarket could maximize their profits by dumping me.  It sold because people wanted a convient source of local honey and would pay more for it.  This is my bone about the NHB. They promote honey (any countries honey) rather than local honey.  Promoting local honey helps every little guy in the US but not the commercial US producers who can not unload their load locally.  For me to care about the NHB I must receive a benefit such as having the NHB and labs singing and searching for the virtues of local honey. The total volume of US honey sales may decline but the industry (not to be equated with a few small guys) can still thrive.