From:
Mark Otts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 21:52:13 +0000
A short comment from Erik Osterlund to the below:

Yes I'm a "seller", of a very limited number of queens, beside the breeding
and testing work, I'm involved in. I have another occupation that takes
most of my time. If I'm trustable is up to anyone to try to find out.
That's the problem with all people you listen to, you have to try to get a
picture of the person communicating.

One thing concering tests is that it's essential if they are testable and
possible to repeat. And if there are others that could confirm or not what
is being said and tested.

To be noted, as I made clear in my former comment, is that the tests cited
below by /vov/, of which one was mentioned by me, that done by the Swedish
University of Agriculture (at the end of my former posting), is that these
scientific tests made, only are focused on the reproduction success of the
mite, not the survivability of the bee colony. Survivability involves more
parameters than mite reproduction. Also the test done by Landesanstalt fur
Bienenkunde (mentioned in ABJ -99 article) dealt with mite reproduction
during the "first season" of mite infestation. And again, is any paper
published dealing with the relation between mite reproduction and
survivability of the bee colony. There are many questions that could be
asked and dealt with in such a paper. To be noted here is that tolerant
bees in South and Latin America normally have "several thousand" of mites
according to Martin and Kryger" in Apidologie 33:51-61.

Unfortunately I know of no university doing survivability tests of
beekeeper managed bees concerning mites, but Erickson in Arizona with local
bees (presented in ABJ). Rinderer on Primorsky bees did one test
(Apidologie 32:381) that possibly could be attributed under such a heading.
But no test dealing with other bees. But there are possibilities to do so
of course.

There is also a possibility to take contact with Mr Karlsen on  the island
Bornholm.

There are more than one type of bee that can survive the mite in normal way
of beekeeping. This survivability I'm convinced is a complex matter with
more than one parameter involved. Let's concentrate on survivability and
together try to find out the different parameters. And look positiveky on
each others efforts. It would surprize me if this is not what we all want.

Best regards and thanks for being able to in this way to take part on your
list

Erik Osterlund

I wrote:

>>Just a few comments from me on the subject of survivability of
>>Elgon bees in connection with varroa mites. I have written two
>>articles where initial trials were described in Israel and Denmark,
>>in ABJ May -99 and in ABJ article which can be read here:
>>http://beesource.com/pov/osterlund/abjmar2001.htm

/vov/ commented: