From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Dec 2005 13:37:39 -0600
Hello Dave & All,

Quite a bit of research on nosema has been done and published.

We know that nosema is the silent killer of bees. Why do you think the
largest beekeepers in the world are the largest buyers of fumidil?

Research has shown that workers lives are shortened by two weeks when nosema
is present in large numbers. Even when there are no outward signs of nosema.
Beekeepers treat for nosema for other reasons than just winter loss.

The small beekeeper may not care but the large beekeeper sees keeping nosema
in check a wise investment. My own research with nosema has shown me you do
not need to treat spring & fall or even every year. As a commercial
beekeeper I would most likely treat once a year in fall if I did not test.

Simple testing puts money in your pocket when dealing with all beekeeping
problems. Why treat when you don't have to?

> I would be surprised if it was not more costly to mask
the disease's presence.

Two weeks of a foragers life X thousands of bees is a big loss in honey
production. Estimates of a third to half a crop loss have been said by
researchers.

Bob