From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2007 14:09:33 EDT
The media presents the CCD map without explanations - these are states from
which we have received reports of CCD from beekeepers.  The results reflect  a
16 month period of time, and do not imply that CCD is in all states at the
same time.  We don't have any control over how the maps are used/presented,
which is unfortunate.

As per the reliability of our survey compared to the so called 'on the
ground reports'  from Bee-L -- we may see some bias, considering how the  data is
collected -- BUT, it is based on the reports of 639 beekeepers in 43  states -
which is a relatively large and dispersed number of  beekeepers.  Also, over
70 of our respondents were large scale  beekeepers.

Both our survey and Bee-L show that many beekeepers are working hard at
trying to help solve this problem.  How to best do that is a question of  merit.
Unfortunately, NASS doesn't track bee losses or even bee movement,  so getting
accurate information is difficult.

Bee-L has the same bias as our bee loss survey - all  information is based on
input from only those people who decide to  contribute information, mostly
electronically.  Bee-L has far  fewer people providing input (at least with
respect to on-line  discussions) about CCD than our surveys, so I'd be careful
about sweeping  statements about who is getting a more accurate picture of CCD in
the  U.S.

Neither our survey or Bee-L is unbiased (random sample).   On the  other
hand, we only count the input from each person once - 639 individual  reports,
whereas the opinions of a few Bee-L members are repeated over and  over.

Many times we've seen the information, provided by the more than 600
respondents to our surveys, disprove the opinions on Bee-L.  For  example, feeding
sucrose syrup compared to high fructose does NOT  provide CCD protection.
Non-migratory beekeepers have sustained CCD,  as well as migratory beekeepers.
Organic beekeepers do report CCD, as well  as beekeepers who throw everything and
the kitchen sink at their bees in  attempts to control mites.  Beekeepers
with mite problems, out of control,  experience CCD.  Beekeepers with mites under
control, or with almost a  total absence of mites, also experience CCD.
Feeding fumagillin does not  eliminate CCD.

I'm sorry, but I work with data, and we have over a quarter of a  million
answers to many critical questions.  Our survey approach will  not accurately
provide the total number of colonies or beekeeping  operations affected by CCD,
because a volunteer survey has a sampling  bias.

However, the information provided by more than 600 of the nation's
beekeepers, including 70 of our largest, provides a wealth of data about the  affects
of differing styles of bee management, overall causes of bee  death,
distribution and timing of bee loss problems, and other  contributing factors important
to an epidemeology investigation.  The  most important lesson learned,
beekeepers in the U.S. are sustaining far greater  losses of bees to a variety of
causes than what be tolerated by any other aspect  of our agriculture.  We used
to think 5-10% overwinter loss was about the  norm, and pesticides were an
occasional problem.  We now have beekeepers  accepting 50% losses as normal.  Its
hard to make a living or profit under  those conditions.

Jerry

Jerry