From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Feb 2008 17:02:18 -0500
The reaction to Haagen Dazs sort of mirrors the reaction to GMO. It is a
"one size fits all'. Once the reality is explained, among the less
rigid, rational though kicks in.

GMO is a single entity only in that it describes a process. Most
objections are not with modifying a plant, but in what is modified, such
as BT resistance. Unfortunately, even on this list, GMO becomes a
collective evil, instead of discussing the parts. So big companies are
bad, even when they give money for CCD research, because big companies
are bad. But then we get into details and things are not as bad as they
seem. Again, only when rationality kicks in.

Some, like Joe, felt the wrath of the terminally pure, for whom rational
thought left long ago. Purity is the all-in-all

GMO has been around for a long time and not just with soybeans, corn or
sugar beets. There is GMO papaya. Why? Because without modifying it most
of the Papaya crops in some areas would have been lost to disease.
Bananas will probably be modified, because if they are not, we will lose
all bananas to disease.

GMO targets specific pests or diseases. It is just a faster way to do
what we did for years, which is select for the traits we want.

Even GMO corn is not just GMO. There is roundup ready and there is BT
corn. Personally, I do not like BT corn just because it lends itself to
create BT resistant insects, which is happening in nature right now. But
roundup ready corn? Nothing wrong with that in my mind. Or disease
resistant papaya? Again, nothing wrong. Bees near GMO corn? What kind of
GMO corn, BT or roundup ready?

Most developing countries welcome GMO as it can release them from
tremendous reliance on pesticides and protect crops from diseases. A PBS
special noted that only the rich countries can afford to ban GMO plants.

So there is GMO and there is GMO. I would hope that some rational
thought is exercised in discussing it and just what feature you might
not like as it pertains to honey and bees.

Like BIG CORPORATIONS and Haagen Dazs.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine