From:
Greg Hankins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2000 22:17:40 -0600
>We are all surrounded by folks who are totally
>ignorant and scared to death of bees.  <snip>
>let us suspend theoretical differences and work together to
>welcome and encourage all reasonable help in enlisting the interest and
>support of the public for our bees.

Bill's right. I watched the show this evening, and was entranced. The
photography is nothing short of amazing; once I pen this I'm off to the pbs
web site to see how they did it.

There were some errors of fact and maybe even more of emphasis. Even a
neophyte like myself found myself explaining a couple of inaccuracies to my
spouse.

On the other hand, the show was a very positive, very engaging, elementary
treatment of the lifecycle of the honeybee for a very general audience. I
don't think it claimed to be anything else, and, at that level, it
succeeded quite well.

Who knows, perhap someone introduced to the wonderful world of bees by this
very program will go on deepening their knowledge to the point that they
can read von Fritsch - and Wenner - and make up their own mind.

I don't recall anything in that 4th grade level Signature biography of
Thomas Jefferson about Ms. Sally Heming, but I don't think my ability,
30-odd years later, to understand her significance was damaged by my
somewhat sanitized intro to that red-headed fiddler from Virginia.

Greg

Greg Hankins                    Happy Hank's Honey House
[log in to unmask]                 Mt. Gilead, North Carolina