From:
Brian Ames <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 2010 07:37:43 -0400
Bob said:

"The largest apple grower in Missouri is very happy with organophosphates and
considers the neonicotinoids problems. He says none of the growers believe
the neonicotinoids will do the job the organophospahtes do. He has been
using organophosphates since 1926. Believes pulling the organophosphates
will be the last straw for the U.S. apple industry and he will go out of
business."

Wow no matter how Bob cuts it Neonics are doom and gloom. Either they will kill off the honeybees or now the apple industry!

Here is a powerpoint presentation called Organophosphate (OP)  Alternatives to Anthropod Management.

http://orchard.uvm.edu/uvmapple/pest/insects/AgnelloVT_OP_Alts_Feb2008.pdf

As an apple grower I agree that we now have ample replacements for the OP chemicals. The main issue is the price is much higher or the systemics would be used more often around here. For coddling moth OP has never worked as well as Assail. Suggesting that the apple industry will go out of business without OP's is laughable  in my view.