From:
Luke Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jul 2001 10:58:15 +0100
I noticed a strange thing in one of my hives the other day.......
I'm using the demaree method to get the hive to produce some queen cells
.... and so moved a frame of eggs and pollen into the top of the hive (only
one however) I marked this frame with some coloured spacers. The super had
mostly draw out wax and some honey but nothing else. The super is on the
fourth level above the nest with a sound queen excluder and two full supers
of honey.
About 3 days later I examined this frame that I had brought to the top of
the hive and there were no cells. I looked at the adacent frame and found  a
good large queen cup made in the new wax. I put the hive tool into it to
brake it down and it had a larvae inside with a great load of royal jelly.
!!!!! I wondered if the workers may have laid in it though this would surely
not have been made into a queen cell? The queen was still below, the frame
was definitley not the one with eggs in the only explanation I can think of
is the bees moved the egg over !!!!!!!!? Has anyone come across this before.