Peter Dillon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 19 Sep 2003 13:29:29 +0100
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (41 lines)
Relating to Bob's experience in the "honey house" and Robin's comments suggesting that conditions
"sound absolutely Dickensian".

Before moving to France and setting up as a commercial beekeeper - my experience was limited to a
few hives and a wandering extractor!
I wandered in and out of my hives with much care and at a speed that allowed each to be treated like
5 star hotels.
At extraction time - each frame was carefully removed, dusted and royally brought into the kitchen
and dealt with.
Supers were wrapped and stored as if they were the most valuable thing I owned.
I decry none of the above, nor beekeepers still progressing in such a manner - BUT,

Move onto hundreds of colonies and so much changes.
Care is still maintained but such things as removing all bees etc. etc. are no longer top priority.
Organisation, safety in the work place, hygiene, speed and ability to have rentable procedures are
paramount.
Buildings holding hundreds of supers are places were bees collect - if only 2 bees are brought home
per super - that results in 200 bees in a building!
Building costs enter into the equation - hot rooms need to insulated - therefore windows are not
advised.

Robin, if you have seen a commercial regime in action - you know you comments are not really valid.
If you have not seen, then try and visit one, take part, starting from passing a day clearing,
carting supers, stacking, extracting, replacing and preparing for the next one.
Few hobby beekeepers wish this style of life, whilst few commercial guys want to return to the hobby
level. The two are worlds apart in skills, techniques and aspirations.

When I talk to individuals in Britain about my operation in France - they find it difficult to
equate with what they do. Many actions are totally against what they consider "proper". A few weeks
on the active front - and those who have stayed to "help" change their mind.

Go and talk over a beer with somebody who runs 1000 colonies - then think about how you would do it
- and still make a living from the sweet nectar.

Best regards,
Peter

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
-- Visit www.honeybeeworld.com/BEE-L for rules, FAQ and  other info ---
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

ATOM RSS1 RSS2