From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Sep 2005 07:57:39 -0500
My friend Aaron and I have always discussed these kinds of issues off list
but glad we can discuss at least the other side of the coin for all to see.
I do not want to kill the messenger although I find fault with the message
he brings!

> post followed the pattern of quote a point, respond to the point.

Exactly! Otherwise posters ramble on. I am not interested in nit picking but
discussing points put out by the poster which I see as either incorrect or I
disagreee with.

 >When all was written and done you quoted 90% of the previous post.

I believe I responded to 90% of a post! I believe would not have been a big
deal if I had done as others do which is quote 10% and then respond to 10%.

 >  It's a University mamdate that I (we) must follow.

I think we agree on this point but creates a problem for discussion reasons.
Bee-L people which have not been reading the discussion from the start do
not have a clue what we are discussing. Others see  (in the case of the Joe
Waggle last post)   a small cell person giving a strong pitch for small cell
without discussion of his points using statements like:
" The large cell house of cards is about to fall".

I see nothing in the primitive research in the Bee Culture article or posted
by those on BEE-L which upholds the long standing position of the small cell
group which says:

"small cell is the only way to keep bees"

"it is what it is" as far as internet beekeeping archives go!

Tough to search and time consuming. Almost never quoted from on BEE-L unless
by a moderator to show the list the archives are available.

When I joined BEE-L I went back to the start and read every post. Took a
whole winter in those days. I believe I have read every post written since.
By doing so you get a feel for the beekeeping  knowledge level of those
posting. All levels from researcher to the beekeeper with a single hive are
on the list. All opinions and information is welcome but points  raised
which are questionable need questioned or else new beekeepers will accept
those opinions as fact. They need to see both sides of the coin and then
make up their own mind which is what a discussion is all about.

Bob