From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 09:06:55 -0700
> After some 35 years I continue to learn beekeeping, and one of the most
> striking of my recent lessons has been how many commercial beekeepers
> regularly feed pollen or pollen+pollen supplements.  (Allen Dick has some
> great observations on this at his web site.)  Many or most commercial
> beekeepers would not think of getting through a spring without feeding
> pollen cakes, yet the practice has not been widely suggested to hobbyists
> and sideliners.

Is pollen an essential ingredient in protein supplementation?

Frankly I don't know.  I know it has advantages, but I know that pollen
bought from others can bring disease that may outweigh the benefits.  In the
current situation where SAFB is being passed around so quickly, caution is
in order.  Even neglecting AFB, the chalkbrood that one can contact can be
very serious.

As for feeding back one's own trapped pollen, I would think that this is no
worse than moving frames between hives, and the boost in brood production --
if it is done at the right time -- can be very positive.  Pollen is the
benchmark in protein feeding and a fresh mix of good pollens has never to my
knowledge been matched by artificial diets.

Having said that, I included *no* pollen in my patties that I am going to
feed this spring.  I have always bought pollen, not trapped it because I am
not in a good pollen area.  I have  a selection of pollen traps I have built
and bought over the years, but never had the heart to put on a hive.

IMO, The main function of pollen in a protein patty is attraction.  Pollen
*may* also be the best nutritional ingredient, depending on its source and
age, but it may, in other circumstances, not add much of value.  We've
found, just as Andy said, that that if you add enough sugar to anything,
bees will eat it and sugar is much cheaper than pollen.  Refined sugar does
not spread bee diseases.

Last year we irradiated the pollen we used.  The process costs only about
65c US/lb. and eliminates the risk of disease, but does not harm the
nutritional or attractant properties.  Nonetheless, in our experience, a
patty with 50% sugar is typically consumed only about 1/3 more slowly than
one with pollen.   Since we are always concerned that the bees will eat the
patty then run out before we get back, slightly slower consumption can be a
good thing.

As for human consumption, I share Andy's opinion which is well documented in
the BEE-L archives.  I believe that trapped pollen is so full of dust,
possible pesticides, various other environmental items that either
attracted -- or were attracted to -- the foraging bees, that I have serious
doubts as to its suitability to be part of a human diet.

As with anything we observe and practice, YYMV.

allen

Opinions are not facts, Use with caution