From:
Richard Cryberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Oct 2016 20:34:20 +0000
Cause and effect are awfully hard to tease apart.  It is often claimed that people who get a lot of regular exercise, particularly runners,  seldom die of heart attacks.  I ran thousands of miles when younger.  Was still running five and ten miles regularly in my early 60s.  Knees will no longer take the pounding so I ride a bike.  Put 1500 miles on my bike this summer.  At 75 the heart stuff I have (irregular beats) is probably simply athletes heart.  So, is it really exercise or is it those with solid hearts due to good genetics are more inclined and able to exercise?  You do not see many over weight people on the bike trails.  When I log those kinds of miles it is actually hard to eat enough to avoid weight loss.  Have to do stuff like eat a pint or so of ice cream for an evening snack regularly in addition to upping normal meal serving sizes to get an extra 1000 cal per day of fuel to avoid excessive weight loss.  So, does exercise lead to skinny people, or do genetics dictate skinny people who are then able physically to use the bike trail?

There is quite a bit of evidence that those who stay highly mentally active and learn lots of new stuff when older seldom get Alzheimer's.  This claim has been made for both top flight bridge players and Nuns.  I play a pretty mean bridge game and am constantly learning new science and have no signs to date of Alzheimer's.  Again, is it the mental exercise?  Or is it that those of us who do this do it simply because we have good genetics and are not early stage Alzheimer's?

I have heard lots of claims about getting stung helping moderate arthritis pain.  Maybe it works for some.  Does not work a bit for me. I have been stung so many hundred times most years by honey bees even a yellow jacket sting does not amount to anything much.  What does work is to keep moving a lot practically every day.  If I sit driving a car 600 miles a day for three days in a row by the fourth day my joints are killing me.  So, do those with genetics that allow bee keepers to take the physical demands of bee keeping suffer less arthritis simply because they are moving most days?

I would put my money on genetics if I were betting.

Dick

" Any discovery made by the human mind can be explained in its essentials to the curious learner."  Professor Benjamin Schumacher talking about teaching quantum mechanics to non scientists.   "For every complex problem there is a solution which is simple, neat and wrong."  H. L. Mencken