From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 16:28:55 -0500
Dave Hamilton said:

> ...at our state bee convention they were taking about the
> subfamilies in the hive and the relationship of these genetic
> families to "who goes and stays" when swarming.  Lloyd's
> observation about it being the "older" bees and the notion
> that those that go are closer related to the "older" departing
> queen may be correlated.

But if this were true, all (or nearly all) bees in the colony would
leave with the "old" queen, since there has not been time for
the progeny of the "new" queen to be anything but a tiny
percentage of the total population, at most.

There is much more going on than a simple division along
"family tree" lines.

        jim