From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Dec 2001 02:32:31 -0500
I was surprised to read that members of this list
were suggesting things like:

> ...But don't volunteer any information.

and

> The first option is not to bother to call back.
> It sounds like a fishing expedition...

I must strongly disagree with both suggestions, as
they advice a posture that is less than 100% open
and honest, and are hence the postures of defeat.

Let's assume a "worst-case scenario", where either
civil or criminal penalties are possible.  Is "keeping
quiet" going to help matters?  Is ignoring them?
Either of those approaches will only make you appear
to be a deliberate and willful "violator" of whatever
law/regulation/rule they want to "enforce".  Either of
those approaches might turn what otherwise would
be excused as "error or omission" into "criminal intent".

Instead, imagine an honest and frank discussion.
The state reps are honor-bound to report that
you were "fully cooperative" with their investigation
or inquiry, which may carry more weight than any
action(s) that might be a technical "error".

Recall stories about pesticide misuse that resulted
in Bee kills in your state.  Was the state a fierce
enforcer of "the label law"?  More likely they were a
toothless apologist for the miss-deeds of the pesticide
user, more concerned with agonizing over their lack of
staff and funding for "better education" than with
taking the time to levy fines or sue anyone.

That said, there is nothing wrong with taking a pro-active,
or even aggressive approach in any/all dealings with any
government agency.  An advocate would be an excellent
asset, and your local State Inspector, being a fellow state
employee to your callers, is an excellent choice.

There is nothing wrong with waiting for your State Inspector
to find out "what's up", before you respond to the inquiry, but
to be anything less than completely candid would be stupid.

I presume that Kansas had a Section 18 for Checkmite,
and I presume that you read and followed the instructions.
If so, you have NOTHING to fear from the same state government
that applied for and got the Section 18 approval in the first place.

If you did not properly dispose of the strips, the damage is likely
already done, but I would guess that the state's primary concerns
would not be "disposal", but would instead be:

a) Did you get the instructions for storage and handling?

b) Did you follow those instructions, or do you have some
    CheckMite in a kitchen drawer?

Checkmite is a very nasty organophosphate that I would not
allow within grenade-launcher range of my farm.  The rest of
agriculture has wised up about organophosphates, and are
phasing OUT their use.  Beekeepers, on the other hand
seem to be mostly unaware of just how nasty this stuff can be.
The only rational concern would be the "risk of human contact",
which would be a concern about your health and safety.

From the questions asked, it sounds to me like the state of
Kansas may be more concerned about verifying that vendors
are sending the correct "Section 18 Label" with shipments to
Kansas than with anything else.

But don't ignore them, 'cause they will not "go away", and don't
try to keep things from them, 'cause most people are terrible liars,
and don't even know it.  (I clean up at cards on a regular basis
with otherwise intelligent and sophisticated people who have no
idea how easy they are to "read".)

Don't try to play games with bureaucrats - they play little
"waiting games" and games of half-truths for a living, and by
comparison, the average citizen is a rank amateur.

        jim

        farmageddon