From:
Bob & Liz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 09:26:46 -0600
Hello Allen & All,
I also would like to wish Alan a happy & enjoyable retirement!
Because this is a Bee-L post instead of a direct email I will add a few
comments for those thinking of retiring from beekeeping on a large scale.
The best way is obviously to sell the whole operation to another beekeeper.
This doesn't happen very often but the best place to try first.  If you
can't find a buyer then most beekeepers  sell only the bees the first year.
In the U.S. you want to spread the taxable income out over several years.
NEVER sell the supers before the bees are sold.   Actually never sell any
support equipment till the bees are sold.   As the the bees are sold then
move a like amount of support equipment.
Honey house equipment is bought mainly by beekeepers wanting to *upgrade*.
Honey house equipment sells best as a complete package but if you are not in
a hurry you can usually get more money a piece at a time.
Equipment which is not in popular use is hard to find a home for( eight
frame equipment,glavanized extractors, deadouts and outdated equipment).
Complete dispersal sales have been disappointing to sellers over the last
few years.  Sales  are a quick way out but many sellers are VERY
disappointed when the sale is over .   I have been asked to help with sales
of beekeepers equipment which have died.   The faster the hives & supers
find a new home the better.   Stored and unprotected supers can be reduced
to *junk* fast. Most U.S. beekeepers know of a few barns full of supers &
deadouts needing TLC but the owner wants a new price. .  Time involved in
repair is huge and not cost effective if using hired labor.  Consider every
offer. High offers usually come with the right to pick through equipment.
Low offers will take the whole lot.  Beekeepers are famous for buying low
and selling high.  Consider what you will be left with if you let beekeepers
pick only the best.
None of the above is intended for Allen as I am sure he is aware of
everything I have posted but others thinking of retirement might find the
above helpful.
I doubt we have heard the last from Allen.   Beekeeping has a way of holding
on to its beekeepers.   Health has forced many to retire but age doesn't
seem to be a factor.  I have known beekeepers which waited to long to retire
and the everyday running of the operation became a overwelming task . I have
also known beekeepers which amazed me at the way they could run their bees
when they were in their 70's,80's and even a few in their 90's.
Best wishes Allen!
Bob