From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Nov 2006 08:05:49 -0500
Francis Fedrizzi wrote:
> I live in Maine and have a few acres I'd like to seed with a good nectar
> producing plant for my honey bees.
White clover is always the best bet.

I think the more important nectar is the earlier dandelion flow since it
is what gets everything moving. With it the clover becomes your honey crop.

You can get both since that is exactly what my yard has. Golden yellow
in the spring and lots of clover that follows.

You might also think of planting raspberries and blueberries for
varietal honeys and get the added benefit of the berries.

I planted about a half acre of clover for my bees and finally just let
it go since they seemed to do just find on their own. The field now has
loostrife which is an invasive pest but great nectar source between late
summer and fall along with goldenrod and aster which are their fall sources.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine