From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 09:00:14 -0500
Greetings
I am probably going to be the odd man out here, but my nearly 30 years
experience with bees has taught me that hives should not be placed closer
than a half a mile from any dwelling without the owner's permission. People
should be allowed to choose whether they want to live near bee hives. Bees
can be annoying and at times very dangerous. Why should anyone
unwillingly be exposed to such a risk?

Preventable stinging incidents only cast a dim light on beekeeping. It is a
rural occupation, despite the success some people have had keeping bees in
town. I understand the logic behind exterminating any loose swarms in the
areas where African Bees are established. It is better to be safe than
sorry in these cases. Honey bees can be outlawed from urban areas without
harming the bee industry and the gardens, since there are other pollinators
which can fill in the gap.

My feeling is that if you want to keep bees, or horses, or chickens, you
should live out in the country where people accept these occupations as a
way of life and understand the risks and responsibilities.

pb